Thursday, March 29, 2007

San Francisco California Pacific Route 1 Blog -- Part 1

The following blog is actually handwritten on my travel Journal during my San Francisco and California Coast Route 1 tour. Painstaking reproduced in Digital format for your view pleasure. I wrote too much so I have to take some time to upload all the photos and blog....so this is just Part 1 of the many Part of Blog....

11.10pm 22/03/07
Finally got a gallon of water and a notebook to satisfy my thirst and my need to blog. Decided not to bath, brush and sleep right now for even if I do, thanks to time zone difference, it will be hard to fall asleep. So gonna keep myself active and see the Golden Gate Bridge at night.

Brought my food right here

12.00am 24/03/07
Been there, done that. I drove across the Golden Gate Bridge and the only thing I could see in the dark is the rectangular bridge support, 2 of em. Its dark, too dark to really appreciate the bridge at all. Some how I got this funny feeling it’s a bit too short and the drive over it was not as scenic as expected. Expecting lots of lighting here and there, but just see lots of cars buzzing pass me as I tried to capture whatever treat there is within my peripheral.

That was northbound through the bridge. I continue driving further north till I realize there just forest around me now. So I tunr back, back the same road I came, south bound through the bridge. Was surprised to see a toll tag booth and a huge US$5.00 sign to enter San Francisco. Oh well…have to dig those pocket of mine.

12.38am 24/03
I could not sleep and it must be the time zone stuff screwing up my bio-logical clock. Chat with one of the Hostel staff and learn he have hiked and hitch hiked all the way from Pennsylvania to San Francisco, taking odd jobs along the way to fund his journey, job like a hostel staff right now.

Ok…. Now I must force myself to sleep so I could explore the Fisherman Wharfs area in the morning, by foot. Plan to check out at 11am and head off to Muir Woods, north of San Francisco with a group of like minded travelers from the Hostel.

7.30am 24/03
After much tossing and turning last night, I finally fell asleep and woke up to this beautiful morning of sunny sky, green trees and chirpy birds. Realise the hostel is located right inside a popular park. From my bedroom window, I see people jogging and cycling. I heard someone speaking Cantonese first, a sign that SFO have a huge Chinese community. Better get brushing and washing before breakfast.

My dog shed I have spend the night in


Hostel receptionist. Mostly part-time worker who are also backpacker themselves.


Hostel I spend my night in... Youth Hostel International.

8.30am 24/03
This area is called the Golden Gate NRA (National Recreation Area). Lots of people doing their morning jogging and cycling in this park in the morning.

Walk down this path...

...the wonderful view of San Francisco City...

...Beautiful Skyline...

Right behind where I stay is the “PIER”. All this building are suppose to be some kind of warehouse or facility for ship docking at the Pier but now its been wholly dedicated to Art, Dance, Literature and Music.





Lots of Seagull over here, domesticated and waiting to be hand fed. All the buildings are conserved by the local Government. Somehow it remind me of the Esplanade but at a more Humble tone. Hmm…notice there is military insignia on each of the buildings….maybe Fort Mason (as this area is called) use to be a Naval Base.

Quack Quack Quack!!!

8.55am 24/03
The Golden Gate Bridge stretching across the bay on my left, The “Rock” Alcatraz Prison solitary to my right and Angel Island far ahead. This is a nice place for some photo shooting but the bay area is covered with morning mist. I’ll come back again in the afternoon to get a better chance with the photos.


Golden Gate Bridge far far away.


"THE ROCK" Alcatraz Island Prison

9.00am
It must be really nice and lay back to stay in SFO right by the bay. With such calm and serenity and cool weather, its no wonders there is so much folks walking, jogging and cycling around the city. There is just this raw attraction that will make people like me come out every morning for a run along the bay. Most of the folks here are slim and fit and I bet so far I don’t see any local with a bicycle tire waist size yet.


9.20am
Nice stroll through the park. Saw couple of Ah Gong and Ah Ma practicing Tai Chi. The usual morning exercise crowd are still around.

This street perpendicular along Bay Street caught my attention. Just look at that slope! I bet its really fun to cycle down those slope, but first…. Got to get up there which must be challenging.

San Francisco City is all about slopes and hills

Right at the Intersection of Bay St and Franklin St is Fort Mason where I have spend the night in. Youth Hostel International is where I stay and I highly recommend staying right there for its walking distance to most attraction in San Francisco City, especially Fisherman’s Wharf. Renting a bicycle is one of the best way to get around here.


Fort Mason located at intersection of Franklin and Bay St


Entrance of Fort Mason where is Hostel is located

No comments: