Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Riccardo first two days in Singapore


Thank god I was working the night shift last week and got enough sleep on the aircraft on my way back to Singapore else I will be totally jet lagged for the first few days back in Singapore. I AM DOING FINE right here if any of you guys back in US is asking. Landed at exactly 12 noon on Sunday and my mum, dad and sis is already right there at the arrival gate waving at me while I took my time at the DFS pondering what liquor to get back home. Great to see that my sis is doing very well in her dual career in bank and network marketing. A brand new Mitsubishi Lancer GLX is a prove of her status right now. Boy....10 months and she have achieved so much, proud of her.

Did not went straight home on Sunday but headed to Waterloo street , to the Guan Yin temple to make my first Singapore prayer session . The usual line but with sincerity, thanking Guan Yin for her protection for my stay and work in US and for my family back in Singapore when I was not around. Gratefulness especially in preventing my from "buanging" (road accident) one day before I head back to Singapore. Nearly become a mince meat when I nearly collide to the rear end of an 18 wheeler on my way back home on the last day of work....nearly become the last day of my life man but somehow, something autopiloted my hand to "siam" the truck in front of me.

Talking about driving, it is suddenly so so so so multiply by 10 much challenging to drive here in Singapore. The lane are so narrow, there is so much cars, there is so many people jay walking especially at Waterloo Street and driver behind seems to always have their hands on the horn. And it looks like the size of a single parking lot is like those back in United States conveniently cut to 3/4 width, can't even open the car door fully without hitting the Hyundai on my left and the Honda on my right. Finding parking lot is a challenge, I wonder if I was slow or its just my incorrect positioning of the car that gave the wrong signal, the parking lot I aim for always got snatch up and it happen 3 time on one occasion at the frustration of my sis and dad, no joke. Anyway, good thing I did not turn into the wrong lane when driving but it sure is a damn stressful driving experience.

Well enough of negativity here and there. You know what I like about coming back here? All the green trees and green grass neatly planted all over our island nation. Enough of winter hibernation Bald trees of Dallas, this greenery relaxes my mood admit all the hustle and bustle of our city life. I hope Singaporean really appreciate what we all got here in our little country, a Garden City where every corner you turn, there got to be trees or flower or the less, green green grass of home. We are literally living in a Garden, a reminder to those who are taking it for granted or worse destroying it.

FOOD. Thats one of the many objective for my home trip. After 10 months of deprivation, my parents were shocked about my ferocious appetite. On the night I was back, we have Chilli Crab for dinner, 1 crab all for myself and 1 for my mum, dad and sis. On Monday, I head down to my Uncle "Yong Tau Foo" store at Aljunied for a one of a kind, black mince meat sauce Yong Tau Foo, absolutely fantastic. Never seen this kind of Yong Tau Foo in Singapore, probably not that common. Business was really good for them thus I drop by the stall after the usual lunch time crowd was gone. My Uncle a.k.a Ah Gu a.k.a my mother younger brother make me a SUPER SIZE plate of Yong Tau Foo and two bowl of noodle (one black sauce and one laksa gravy) that supposely is a 2 pax serving. Refused to take my money for it, feel so paiseh... I think my stomach have expanded thanks to 10 months of binge eating in the US, could finish everything up and still got ample space for a cup of kopi-oh.

This is my uncle Yong Tau Foo stall, that is my auntie busy with cooking...


This is my Ah Gu (Uncle) and Ah Kim (Auntie). Business was really look, thats why their face look a bit tired but beaming with smile. Stall name losely translated = "Big Sucess, Self Made, Yong Tau Foo"

And this? Black Mince Meat Sauce Yong Tau Foo... Mmm. Making me hungry again.

Headed to my sis company to look look see see in the afternoon. She is working in a Health Care company as her side line. Company name is call "Long Far". Brought dad there to do a health examination and result shows that he is still mighty fit and healthy at 50 years old. Way to go old man!

GOING VIVOCITY NOW!!! BYE BYE!!!

No comments: