Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Heading back to US soon

Hmm... what is home? So should I say I am heading back to US or heading to US? For the start, I was heading to US last year's May. Why did I always tell my friend I am heading back to US when actually my home was Singapore? The "Back" word should be use for home -- Heading back home-- Heading back to Singapore -- Back to base. You see, I am just a foreign alien in United States and my experience tells me I am still know nuts about America and American, its as though I have not explore much of the place yet. All I could tell my friends about my life there was Shopping, Movie, Fishing and Food. I already sound kinda boring to myself each time they ask hows my life in United States. 10 months of cultural immersion have not really make the difference at all. Back here, I dress, talk, walk and eat like any Singaporean.

Somehow I don't like the way some people treat me just because I came back from USA. First, they assume I am rich just because I got a sports car, a laptop, my own apartment (shared with another housemate). Lets clarify right here, I got less than 5 figures in my bank account, that makes me ordinary, I have US$3800 car loan payment, that makes me in Debt (not a serious one), my apartment is paid by tax payer 's money, that makes me accountable.

Secondly, some expect my English to be really powerful now. Judging from my blog, people should think otherwise. I mix with Singaporean most of the time and work with Singaporean almost all the time. We speak the Singapore way, Singlish and sometime in Chinese (I feel its not professional to speak in Chinese during work because we got our Singaporean Indian and Ang Mo around us). When I speak to the American in my base, I think I have funny accent. So when I came back to Singapore, they thought I am gonna have an American accent. I don't think its cool to speak in American accent cause I have dry mouth and twisted tongues doing so. I have been condition for 25 years speaking the Singapore way, 10 months is not gonna make any difference.

Short update here. Our Peace Prairie Detachment Soccer team have a new website...

No comments: