Friday, September 29, 2006

Super Cold in Canada, Super boring science center

I think the last place I will want to go if I ever come back to Toronto is to go to the Science center. Not many interesting exhibit around the whole building literally look empty with only the basement 2 and basement 1 use as exhibition hall. Maybe the Ontario Science Center is more suitable for kids or students to come for education purpose or project but not really for my taste. Most of the exhibit are more of reading than hands on which is not what it really should be cause I could just read stuff out of the books and not travelling all the way to the Science Center to read it. Whatever hands-on exhibit there are does seems interesting but is no more different than what I have seen in the pass at the Hong Kong Science center.

At less I made the statement "Not many interesting exhibit" thats where some credit can be given for today to justify my trip there. Read so much about "AeroGel" in the past, on its wonderful weight and strength properties and how its actually made of 1% silicon dioxide (sand actually) and 99% air. Incredible piece of material, its so light you can't feel it at all.

Its ice, its sugar, not its Aerogel from NASA

The trip back to downtown was mark by a 15 degree celsius weather with a strong North wind that literally threaten to froze me. I was only wearing a T-Shirt, a jacket and a Levi Jeans. It was so damn cold I have to keep my hands in the pocket and bend my head down to prevent the wind chill freezing up my face. For the first time in my life, I experince something colder than Genting, fortunately got into the bus without much waiting. Good thing about the bus here, or should I say its pretty essential for places with 4 seasons, is that its equipped with heater. Notice that there is a small exhuast coming out from the rear top of the bus, must be the heater exhuast. Imagine my relieve once I got into the Bus, so relieve but still freezing that I went into Hibernation all the way to the subway station. I think it was the coldest period of my stay here.

Back in the Hostel, joined Korean friend Song and Japanese new friend Saori and our French counterpart Christion for home cook (Hostel cook) dinner of Korean instant noodles, Char siew and "Xio Ba" (Roast pork) from local chinese restauraunt. Together with some Kim Chi ( i love it) and Radish mix with Vinegar. For the first time, I tried rice wine call Sakae in Japanese and Sou-Ju in Korean. Learn that some Korean prefer sour and hot food rather than sweet food. Song have to take out some of those "Bi Bim Bab" sauce call "Go Zu Zang" as a dipping sauce to get the Korean taste he want for the Char Siew and Roast pork I got for him. It does taste different and pretty tasty, like a new dish by itself when mixed with that Korean sauce. As for Saori, I told her its BBQ Katsu (Pork in Japanese) and its Oishi (tasty). My Japanese friend was full of praise for the food but she might just have been really polite even if it does not suit her. Our French guy Christion went straight for a glass of water after taking a bite on the Korean instant noodle. It was just shockling hot and sour for Europeans like him who have always been taking mild tasting food but he just love Char Siew and Roast pork. The French guy still finish his bowl of noodle cause the taste just grows on him after a few more bites, I bet he have no qualms going for another bowl but it have all been eaten up by one hungry Singaporean.

Sou-Ju wine was really really strong stuff, at 20% alcohol level, beginner drinker should not attempt more than half a glass. It goes really well with meat though cause its a very dry wine and that helps to enhance the taste of meat on the tastebud. However just that little bit of wine, not even match a pint of beer, is already making me pretty tipsy and red on the face. Anyway, a good first time experience on rice wine but it won't be the last...kinda enjoy the excitement in the taste.

The French version of Fear Factor, tasting Asian food.


Tormenter from Singapore, Korea and Japan. Just look at those snigger.


Maggie Mee, Kim Chi, Vinegar Radish, Chinese Pork.


French man showing his support for Asian rice wine.

No comments: