Sunday, October 01, 2006

Last Night in Toronto

I Love the grass! Nice, Clean and cooling.

6.45am, I have smoothly cleared through the United States custom at Pearson Airport and right now waiting for time to pass right outside Flight AC1044. Boarding starts at 8.30am and the plane should see no delay rolling out to the run way and taking off at 9.05am as scheduled. Have been spending the night at the airport since 11.35am yesterday and sleeping on the very uncomfortable and cold seats Pearson Airport have to offer. It was not a good sleep, marked with leg strain, neck strain and butt strain plus a bit of a cold spell. I don’t know was it God’s calling or just plain coincidence sleep walk, I carry all my barang barang and end up sleeping at a inter-faith religion Chapel located in the airport, a place for all religion to conduct their prayer session but was clearly a Christian Chapel.


Spend my last night in Toronto at Korean Town, just walking distance from Christie subway station. Thanks to Sung, I guess I caught a bit of the Korean craze but more to Food and language instead of Drama. One of the girl staying at the backpacker hostel was working at “Umji Bunsik Korea Restauraunt” while concurrently taking her English lesson in Toronto. Together with Sung, Jessie Chan (Hong Kong girl) and our very good French friend Christion, we headed to “Umji Bunsik” for what could be consider our Farewell Dinner …sob sob sob…so “Se Bu De”. Was really impressed with Christion chopsticks skills!!! I still remember Bahar going through the apprentice stage of chopstick use during the early day of my holiday contrasting with Christion great dexterity with Chinese chopsticks on the last night of my stay in Toronto. It was a great dinner in my opinion not only in the food but in the company of a few like-minded travelers. At less Christion is now starting the appreciate the exciting taste of Korean food.

One of the many Korean food stall at Korean town, "Umji Bunsik".

Sung, Christion, Me and Jessie Chan (Jackie Chan sister?)

Before I left on the long ride on public transport to the Airport, our gang head back to the Hostel for some Rice Wine, Sor-Ju. Sung, full name Park Sung Gu, 35 years old Teacher will be moving out to another Hostel on Sunday but will continue to stay for a month in Toronto. Jessie Chan, the Hong Kong HSBC banking girl is taking her English course right now in Toronto and will be moving out to stay in China Town with her friend on Saturday. Our good Frenchman Christion, 20 years old Para-medic will continue to stay in a private room at Canadiana Hostel for a month while taking English course at Toronto. Manage to meet up with Bahar for one last time and offer a toast of wine with him. I will always remember him as the man who shown me the unsanitized, not in Tourist brochures side of Toronto. Bahar have found a temporary job as a telemarketer but is still working his way to be a language Linguist for the Americans and Arab. Might see him with the US troop in Middle East somewhere in the near future.


Not forgetting Brett King, the rollerblade professional who I just met today. Born in 1984 in Singapore and moved to Australia when he was 12. Been getting sponsorship to travel around the world for Rollerblade competition and teaching young kids around the world. Inspiring to see people doing what they love and getting paid. Check out his video clip right HERE

French man Roman on the left and Bret King on the right.


Bart, former Holland Marine’s who have seen action in Bosnia, Kosovo and Iraq. Angus, Harry, Gareath and Melissa from the English island for the great time at the local Karaoke pub. Beautiful and young Anna, a Russian descent of Khuzestan origin for the great company at the zoo and showing me the really quiet and reserve side of an otherwise stereotyped crazy and wild Caucasian women.


Kawan from the English Islands.


Anna and me at the Zoo.

Than there was Hugh, the loud mouth but super hilarious Irish guy I clicked with immediately in term of pure voice firepower. And here comes Roman from French, a season traveler in China, looks like Tony blair but talk like Goofy and an interesting fellow to chat with. Always call my name Riccardo in a very Italiano way.

The tourist attraction in Toronto I learn is just the sponge cake, this people are all the Vanilla, strawberry and icing that give so much flavor to it. Although this have been the highest spending trip so far for any holiday I have (S$1000++) in total, getting to experience the very relax nature of Toronto, experiencing staying under one roof, out of my comfort zone with all non-Singaporeans and linking my International friendship bridge with a few great friends is all worth it. Now I need not worry about getting a local guide in Korea, French and Hong Kong.

Hugged Jessie, Sung and Christion farewell after the last cup of Sor-Ju and made my way out to Osgoode subway station. Sung gave me a pirated version of Korean movie “Typhoon” as a farewell gift, a really great gesture of friendship from him. Met Bill, the Canadian Chinese working at the Hostel and bidded farewell to him as well while assuring him that I will look for this Hostel again the next time I visit Toronto, which will be a road trip. Off a step of the stairs from the Hostel and out onto the 9 degrees weather back to United States.

Farewell Canada!!!

I have caught the travel bug…. and I am intending to go on a road trip from the South Western coast of United States heading all the way North to Canada British Colombia where many say it is a very beautiful countryside scenery place.

No comments: