Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Challenging the weather. Toronto trip prepartion


Today I learn an important lesson, never predict the weather and you can never out run a Storm. Head out in the evening for a run around the usual 2.5 miles route around the neighbourhood. Fall is approaching the the weather was really cooling. I spotted the dark clouds many miles away covering the northern horizon, the front of the storm clouds distintively created a long stretch of border against the clear blue late summer skies. It look something like a horde of invading army in Lord Of The Rings except that it moving so slowly it seems a distance threat.

Confident of my "fine weather" prediction, I continued with the evening jog. It was like half way through the run that a strong wind came straight from the north and I was heading north. The dark clouds rapidly pick up speed like the charge of the medieval mounted calvary. I could see already see the shadow of down pour beneath the clouds which is steadily approaching.

Made a U turn and ran back home but I was already deep into No-Mans-Land. Even Micheal Johnson won't be able to out run it. What initially felt like mist blowing on my bag, becomes a
drizzle and transformed into the largest downpour I ever get caught in!!! There was no outrunning of mother nature....so if you can't run, hide. And I better do so cause lightnings are already streaking across the evening skies. Its ok to be wet as a frog but better think twice taming those lightning else I come KFC fried chicken...extra crispy.

Now here is the best part about United States. I gave the hitchhiker thumbsign under the shelter and god stops a SUV and an Indian couple to pick me up back home. I am Chinese and they are Indian, we are foreigners in a foreign land but it was United Nation for the moment on my way back home, about 2 street away.

Yet again, my day was saved... Last time by the UPS staff at the UPS store when I have a flat car battery and now by an Indian couple when I was overwhelmed by a sudden storm.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




My Canada trip coming up in less than 2 weeks time. Lots of research to do, the attraction in Toronto, how to get here and there, what to pack, what to bring and most importantly where to stay. The Where, The How, The What and The When.

Will be bringing my laptop along since there is lots of Wi-Fi area in Toronto, from the Cafe to the backpacker hostel I will be staying in for the whole of my tour and of course the Canada, Pearson Airport. I plan to blog every single day of my adventure in Toronto starting from Dallas/Fort Worth Airpot.

Have already purchase the air tickets online from Travelocity.com, will be departing at 6.30am on 22nd September Friday for the 3 hrs non stop flight to Canada on a EMBRAER EMB 175 Jet, a small little 75 passenger airliner operated by Air Canada for domestic flights.


Isn't it small and cute??? Remind me of Tiger Airway

Due to the crazy hours of the flight, I will be staying at the Airport on Thursday evening. Never slept at the Airport before so its really going to be kind of Interesting.

Return flight have been scheduled on September 30, Saturday. Could have arrange for a later flight but the price of the air ticket will jump from the original US$299 to US$339 thus decided to head back home on Saturday morning instead. However, I will attempt to see if I could make changes to my return dates and time through the Air Canada counter once I reach Toronto. Just 8 days in Toronto, a city many time larger than Singapore might not be enough...

Counting down to a break from work... ending here with an interesting advertisement...


Speeding Kills!!!

No comments: