Saturday, January 12, 2008

I love American football


I love to American Football! Beneath all the frenzy, push and collision is a game of tactics, deception, good ball throwing skill, receiving and running. Before I came to USA, I just think that its a rough game that just involve ball throwing, running the line and lots of violent body contact. Well, after playing a few rounds with my colleague and American counter part in base today plus watching the game and learning the rules, I start to appreciate American Football to the point of total Enjoyment every time a live game is telecast on TV during most Sunday. I cheered when the team I support ( any team that have the uniform colors I like in each game) score a touch down or gain yard to earn a 1st down.

Just today, instead of working, we have a morning game of American Football in the base. Instead of all the body contact we saw on TV, we played the "Flag" version instead. So every player will wear a belt with flag on the left and right side of the waist. The objective of the offense team is to bring the ball to the touch down line while the defense team just have to stop them by pulling off the flag from the guy holding and running with the ball. Its a safe but as enjoyable as the actual American football since no one is gonna get hurt from a "take down" from the opponent team. Though I do have some skin deep abrasion to my legs and hands from falling and sliding on the dry winter grass.

Long before I even start playing today game, together with a couple of guys we will learn to pass the oval shape football to each other. A throw is not just a throw, since the ball is oval a spinning throw with a ball flying in streamline with air can travel further and more accurate than a ball tumbling in the air. We guys in the base have a lot of practice and mini game of 2 v 2 and 3 v 3 just to hone our passing and running skills. Thanks to the more experience guys in the base, I am finally able to throw a pass properly although most throw looks like an artillery shell lob. Its not easy actually, must know how to grip the ball correctly to ensure that a throw will cause the ball to go straight and spin. Take practice.

Where I stay is Dallas, Texas and Dallas have its own Football Team, the DALLAS COWBOYS. The other football team in the state of Texas will be the HOUSTON TEXAN. Here is the team logo for DALLAS COWBOYS...

A 5 point star that is also a popular symbol of the State of Texas. I'm intending to watch at less a single Dallas Cowboy games here in Texas before I head back to Singapore in May. The tickets are almost always sold out and most of the guys from base got their tickets off E-Bay. Hmm... so far the 2 most interesting culture I learn and experienced is the poker game 'Texas Hold Em" and "American Football".

No comments: