Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Head Concussion and a 1 hour lost of chapter in my life

It was the regular Sunday soccer games we always played at Andy Brown Park in Coppell City. I am still learning the game and getting my soccer foundation right in the game. Have to improve on my passing, situation awareness and of course ball control. The day turn out to be an out of the ordinary experience though...

I can only vaguely recall a cross coming from the left and it was floating so very slowly towards me and there was like 2 defenders around me. I think I attempted a very amateur style bicycle kick but did not missed the ball. Next thing I could only remember lying on the ground, opening my eyes and counting the finger of the oldest player on the field, Afta. Again I couldn't remember what happen after that...I think i stood up and than was told to lied down again by another player who was a Chiropractic. He exercised my head and neck snapping it left and right thats when I felt a flush or blood circulation back to my head. I remember standing up and saying "Woah, I feel the blood circulation coming back".

What happen next is the weirdest lost of memory in my life for I found myself walking to the MPV with Wong not remembering why I was there that day and what happen to me that I am heading to the Hospital ER.

Along the way to the Hospital, I slowly regain back some memory of what happen and recalled only playing soccer, the foolish bicycle kick, the "Afta" finger counting and the head and neck exercise. Its like a Sunday morning chapter of my life with lots of missing pages here and there. Broken pieces here and there. Wong told me I fell down but I continue playing after the fall and after awhile walk to the sideline feeling lost. Ok, seriously I can't remember a single episode of the fall and the soccer playing after that. But that is not a concern right now for now my left neck hurts and the back of my head got a strange sensation. Along the way to the Hospital, Wong kept on asking me question about the what, who, why and when of things just to make sure I did not go into Amnesia. Well of course not, else I won't even be writing blog now. I did however ask alot of question and repeating it, as observed by him.

Check in to the Emergency Department of Las Colinas Hospital...gave them my Driver License and Insurance Card. Was ask a few question by the staff nurse before putting me into a bed for observation. I feel pretty alright now except for no remembering the events leading to "this". No sense of urgency in the nurse and doctor because I waited like 15 minutes before the doctor first came and check me out. I guess I am not seriously hurt or something.

After what seems like more than an hour, I was rolled to the Radiology section to have a CatScan of my head and neck just to make sure there is no internal bleeding or blood clot that could be life threatening. I was roll back to the room again, this time lying there watching the football game between San Diego Charger and Indianapolis Colts while patiently waiting for the results of the early examination by the doctor and CatScan. Hospital scene in TV shows and movies always like to film the patient been roll around the hospital corridor with the camera showing a first person view of the ceilings light, can't believe I am experiencing that kind of moments live this time round.

Since we all got to wait for the doctor again (me, Wong and Wong's wife Sylvia ), we decided to take some pictures for memory (haha, in case I lost memory again?) and for fun.

I blew my head!!!


Watching the NFL games while waiting for the doctor again

Doc came back almost an hour later with the medical reports. As written on it, I suffered a Head Injury, Concussion and Cervical Paraspinal Muscular Strain (fancy medical word for neck muscle strain). Instructed to stay at home with my house mate Ricky for the first 24 hours, under close observation for warning signs like,

  1. Throwing up
  2. Confusion, Drowsiness or any change in alertness
  3. Loss of Memory
  4. Dizziness or fainting
  5. Trouble walking or staggering
  6. Slurred Speech
  7. Headache got worst.
  8. Seizures
  9. Change in the size of one pupil
  10. Weakness or numbness of an arm or leg
  11. stiff neck or fever
  12. Vision problem
  13. Bleeding or clear liquid drainage from ears or nose
  14. Very Sleepy
  15. Anything else that worries me.
Co-Pay US$75 bucks for admission to Emergency ward. Thanks to our company insurance, otherwise the fee will cost a bomb. Thank god I am not warded than I will have to CO-Pay another US$250 for staying in.

Its Day two post injury. I am having my day-off at home playing Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars, Baking a Cake, blogging, watching Anime and just getting lots of rest. Pretty routine Monday but still feeling a bit of a headache and neck strain. I guess I am feeling alright and Korean Boy (Ah Chan) have been checking out on me every single hour to make sure I am fine. Nothing worrying is gonna developed from here and I should be back to work on Tuesday morning.

Ski trip coming on this weekend. I hope to fully recover by than...

No comments: