Sunday, May 25, 2008

My thoughts on the Detachment of the Empire...

In 1 week time, exactly at this time right now, I will be over the Pacific Ocean on a Singapore Airlines flight enroute to Tokyo Narita. Less than 7 Days to go and my tour of duty in the RSAF Peace Prairie Detachment will come to an official closure. Its been a good 2 years of professional career development, character building, friendship forging and a great chapter of my life. Despite all my bitching and complaining sometimes in this blog, I still like to thank the RSAF for this wonderful opportunity and my right hand for signing on. This could easily be the best 2 year period of my career but I'm sure there are more good things ahead as long I maintain a good personal perspective in life.

Still got some loose ends to sort out right now. This week, my last week in the US will likely be the most critical period. I'm sure gonna have to come back on Wednesday and Thursday during my Out-Processing Off. First I have to do a handing over of appointments to two new guys and I really don't wanna screw it up but my back are press against the wall with the time constraint. I hope they forgive me if there is anything that caught them by surprise after I am gone. Next will be the Interview session with Boss and Big Boss which I like it to be short and sweet for I have nothing much to talk about except giving me the time to tied up the loose ends. Finally to get all the outstanding signature on my clearance form. Thats about all, period. Than just gonna enjoy my holiday in Japan.

Hmm... always thought it will be a good idea to talk about my experience in the detachment. In short, this place is a big melting pot for Technician (like me) from all different trade, Flight Engineers, Pilots and Engineering Officer. Its right here where relationship are build but also sometime stretched due to work. Sometimes its so inevitable that conflicts do happen and could have been avoided if the rigidity of policies are relaxed. For most of the days, things goes on smoothly even with the numerous adventures of getting aircraft out of phase servicing on shorten scheduled and also dealing with rectification of aircraft that I can only term it as common cold for a fleet that is ten years old.

I think everyday is an adventure, even though I am still pretty shallow in the global view of our detachment or RSAF, I sometime can't help but think that we are always walking and balancing on a circus tight rope. On one side, we never want to fail in meeting our Operation requirement of going for Exercise with the Ang Moh, flying training sortie within the base or aiding the local community during disaster relieve to ensure of viability in USA. On the other side, we want to generate flyable aircraft to meet the other end of the tight rope with challenges of meeting servicing time lines, making sure preventive check are carried out on critical system, handling the work with the small group of manpower we have to do with in each trade, the secondary appointments that support our primary job, VIP visits and stuff. Keeping all in the balance are nothing but the people we have here, holding the balance that always been threaten to fall and fail on either side.

My thoughts is, its time to either made that rope thicker or just give us people a wooden plank to walk on that offer better balance. We have to cut the BS in our system to a minimal. There a lots of BS so far and nothing seems convincing to stay on. Its always a challenge to change for human a creatures of stagnation and comfort even though its nothing comfortable at all and stagnation breed mosquitoes. If there is one thing that I strongly support will be giving the man the flexibility in equipment procurement and modification without too much approving channels to go through. Why the hell do we have to submit documentation all the way back to someone else out of the realm of our bases just to get approval for a self fabricated tools? I believe we are all smart enough and have adequate thought process from various members of the base to make independent decision and approval. Why consult someone else out and up there when we are the one that know better? This is the issue that stop the creative flow of energy due to a very difficult paper work climb just to get simple but creatively in base design tools to be approved. In the midst of the paperwork process, the paperwork got lost.

People are what hold all the facet of operation together. I have my fair shares of working with the good and the bad. The good guys are the ones who make themselves asset and at less meet the minimal requirement of been a Senior Tech, thats to service aircraft, do proper documentation...period. Ultimately the good guys are one who got the right altitude. I choose to believe that everyone is an asset. Even the low profile guys in the base should not be overlooked for a quiet front hides a oasis of knowledge. Although the real deal in this organization is been low profile means the management will have a hard time spotting and pushing you for PP2 or good Performance Bonus but little do all realize that this silence worker keep the clock ticking as good or even better that most high profiler. Sadly, society thrive of "Kuan Si" (relationship) and "Communication" and "Sale Pitch", only those who make sound can be heard.

But of course there are those with substance and those who are just total noise pollution. Just can't stand those who make too much noise like a Radio, nothing but noise and no action. And there are other disgusting people who don't look at themselves in the mirror and only talk about the problems of others. Not gonna mention names but this kinda people exist. Nothing but rot talker. I think its unfair to make snap judgement of people without knowing them better.

Recently the cruel ranking system of the Empire make a few unhappy people. I think its really unfair to give a poor ranking the someone who have no more career mileage in the empire (ORD soon) when he/she is obviously putting in more effort and contribution than those who got into into PP2 or those who have more mileage to groom. Ranking another one who is "On Job Training" low in the cahoot can be demoralizing too just because he is not an asset yet. Someone just lost the faith in the empire when been told his ranking is bottom of the pool. Yes...ranking is necessary but can the upstairs adopt a silent rule to the ranking process? Telling someone that he/she rank top 10% might make the person too comfortable while telling another "you are not good enough" is pure demoralizing.

Gosh...am I blogging all about the problems? Well, talk about the good things here. Been through 4 detachment farewell party and finally the 5th one is for me and the guys going back end of May. For the farewell, we got a beer mug and a plaque, traditional farewell gift for those at the end of their tour of duty. Its something priceless and unique for only those who been through this tour of duty get this gift. Its like a war medal or something except we are not fighting a war right now. Something one can be proud of displaying in their home gladly telling friends who see it my experience in USA (follow by showing lots of photo that I can only dream off shooting back in Home base at Singapore). Yet another priceless gift is been able to build the skills of working well with people of varied character and background. I guess job can be much more difficult if you can't click with people around you. I have to say where I am standing now is not just myself but the influence and partnership of all the fellows (The good and the few bad) I came into contact during my 2 years tour of duty in Peace Prairie, they are the one that shape who I am now for the better. A big thank you for been in this chapter of my life and God Bless...

No comments: