Friday, July 20, 2007

A Letter from God-Father

Came back from my routine run today and went pick up the mail as usual. Surprised to see a letter send from Singapore, Woodland. I wonder who it is. Open it up, read it and realize it was from God Father (sound really Mafia)! Have not met him since the March when I head back to Singapore for a short home trip holiday. Was a pretty lengthy letter thought. I knew my God Father since Secondary one and I am but one of the many God Son under his care. Ok, before you think he is some Mafia big boss or something, he is actually a teacher in my secondary school back than and pretty famous for his unconventional way of handling Ah Beng in our school. A bit light GTO but not too extreme. What I know is that he got lots of respect from the school Ah Beng especially those from Normal Technical classes. This is my reply to his letter....

Dear Godfather....

Dear Godfather,

Thank you for sending me a letter from home, its the first time I ever receive any letter other than those from my ex-girlfriend. Sorry, I never hand good handwriting and words often goes slanted on a piece of paper so I elected to type my letter instead.


Read about you Insomnia problem from the letter. I always knew you have problem falling asleep in the past and have been undergoing medication at some point of time. I read about drinking hot honey water before sleeping will help slow down the metabolism and relax the body which should help you to fall asleep. Try getting pure honey and not those with artificial preservatives and sugar added in. When I head back to Singapore for another short holiday near Christmas, I will bring back a bottle of raw honey for you. I'm sure it will not only help you sleep well but improve your overall health too.


It sure is sad to hear that your Godson and friends are calling their marriage to an end a few years after marriage. I guess many have been burying themselves too much in work and unknowingly neglected the family and their own social life. Sometime one wonder if they are moving too fast for their own love one to cling on too or is our working stress and long hours just pressuring a relationship to the breaking limits. I hope I be the wiser one and learn from the lesson of others. "Money can buy happiness", that come with limitation. I rather earn enough and lead a fulfilling life outside work that include my family than sloth for long hours earning an extra thousand or two but seeing relationship breaking up. Well thats my opinion, everyone have theirs.


I still remember my first airline trip oversea and that was to Penang with you many years ago. Thank you sir for making that opportunity for me and giving me the air ticket (my first one). Since than I have flown to a few places and lots of Domestic flight in United States both in Airlines and our Military Helicopters, flying is no longer fresh and exciting as the first time I did for the Penang trip (unless I get to fly the plane myself!). Oh! Hope you still remember when we got back to Singapore, I lost some cash in my wallet and you gave me 50 bucks. That money mean alot back than, it weight gold. Thanks again.


Sir, may I ask you if the passion is still in there to teach again? I hope you don't give up being a teacher for some other kids in their life despite the health problem you might have right now. I always believe God created each of us for a purpose in life and I thought yours was to guide students you teach on the right path and be good and purposeful citizens and family man. Of course being a teacher is not only about being the slave of some stupid "getting corporate" MOE style but the guiding kids on the right path in life. Its too early to say "No, I don't think I will be able to teach again". Take a break now and maybe write to yourself, your reflection of life and maybe just at a moment, between the pen the the words you might have an enlightenment or inspiration.


Keep in contact Godfather. I might not be able to help you every way, every time or better than others but I will definitely reply your letters and e-mail. As requested, I drop some pictures of me in military uniform together with this letter. Please put it in the album you are creating. Take care and God Bless You.



Sincere and with Respect,
Riccardo Tan


By the way, my Birthday is 12th November, not December. :)

No comments: