Friday, February 08, 2008

Gambling on 大年初一

What better way to start the New Year by engaging the the most popular socialization activity of Chinese New Year, gambling. Its nothing evil at all to gamble for the 15 days of Chinese Lunar New Year celebration because its a great way to get everyone together on this very popular activity. As always the gambling activity leads to lots of chatting, laughing and sharing of fortune which is not too bad a way to break the ice sometimes especially with relatives you only meet once a year. There was an old saying, your luck on the first day of Chinese New Year will determine your fortune for the rest of the year. So today plan of going to the strip club after dinner scrapped, instead I invited couple of our colleagues from the base for rounds and rounds of Texas Hold'em and Blackjack.

I was pretty lucky to start this New Year with a US$20 winning in the end which could mean a prosperous year ahead for me . Could have walk away with more money but been a host means I got to sit till the end of the game, not an issue at all since gambling to me is an entertainment, win or loss. Gambling aside, I really enjoy the company I got in my house today cause having friends and guest in the house to warm things up is already a great blessing for the New Year.

Been far away from all my family, relatives and close friends in Singapore... The guys and gals in Peace Prairie Detachment are my friends and family now . Who will be with you and who will help you in times of need when you are working overseas? I am thankful to the people right here who point out my mistakes so I never repeat them again, people who silently helped, pulling me out of a major disaster in my career and finally those who accept just the way I am.

No comments: