Friday, November 30, 2007

Repairing a Chinook

I was at JRB with the newly posted guys and gals to have their military ID made and also do some shopping at the BX when I chance upon a old fellow name Mr Kelly selling some die cast model of military planes and helicopters. The Chinook helicopter capture my attention most probably because I am working as a rotor and transmission technician on it for the past 3 years and have develop a love-hate relationship with it.

Mr Kelly is such customer orientated salesperson, he offered to open up the packaging to show me the model. His shop is closing down and all the model is going for 50% off. This Chinook will be selling at US$25. Sadly the forward right wheel fell off when he took it out of the packaging. Mr Kelly attempted to fix it up but slipped his hand breaking off 4 radio antenna on the left side of the Chinook and a IFF antenna on the top of it. Mr Kelly kept blaming himself for his old hands and apologized to me. In the back of my mind, I was already thinking of an exit strategy to get out of the shop, maybe my hand phone ringing will be a good distraction? But Mr Kelly was one really sincere old guy and maybe a bit desperate to sell all his stuff ASAP. He offered 15 dollars for this set of Chinook which now require some super glue repair. Well, I saw the sadness in his eyes for screwing up his own sales so I shook his hands and close the deal at 15. Gleam in his eyes I saw and a good deal for me at 15. Just need a couple of minutes rectification.... isn't I a Chinook Senior Technician?


Its refreshing to see a White Chinook for a change.

Missing IFF antenna

Broken HF Radio Antenna

Right landing gear ripped off from hard landing.

The missing landing gears. An 'Air Frame' man job

5 pieces of broken Antenna. Jobs for the 'RC man'

Wheels back to where it belong using a small amount of Super Glue.

All Antenna delicately stick in place.

Hmm...something is still missing....

Yup! Always need RT man like me to fit up the signature 6 blades of the Chinook.

This model kit will be my humble little contribution to my RT section at Peace Prairie Detachment. We have a cabinet with a flat square top to place this one on.

No comments: