Monday, August 07, 2006

Going Canada in September

I am currently planning my backpacking trip to Toronto, Canada from September 22th to Oct 1st. Lots of things to prepare as this is my first backpacking trip. Have just brought a internal frame bags a.k.a big big backpacker bag in preparation for the trip those you see Ang Mos always carry around. Other than money, I will need some outdoors camping stuff as part of my trip will bring me to Madawaska or Algonquin Park, a popular backpacker outdoor camp site located at a very very scenic wilderness which I soon will discover. A sleeping bag, a propane fire bottle, small cooking wares and a small tent will suffice. Of course not forgeting lighters and Swiss Knifes. The next destination will be Niagara Falls just south of Toronto.

My plan is to embark on this trip alone and join in other backpackers at a backpacker hostel call Global Backpackers at Toronto City for the camping trip. Its always better to go in a group than alone. Lots of homework to do at the moment especially the budgeting stuff. Thankfully the Internet provided most of the information on price of accomodation, approx price on food, city transportation, airline tickets price. I try to keep my budget tight for this trip, target to spend below US$1000, so probably will get some MREs from the guys back in base to keep me filled throughout the adventure.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Not to throw you wet branket... but just to share some experience. Travel with other backpackers for a tour trips might not be a good choice. Because the conversation will be around Singapore and their own country.

How about Canada?.. the country you travel all the way from US to explore. Mix more with the local.. your tour guide...your hostal owner... your hostal clearner...taxi driver.. bus driver...etc..

Anyway, this is just personal comments. At least, I still prefer to play chess with the old man on the street.. chat with them... hear their stories rather than going to those natural places.

Make your trip special.. and not just another stories like other.

Unknown said...

Opoo.. and one more thing. You will learn one very important lesson when you travel alone... you make your OWN decision.

haha.. see whether you will feel the same on what I had experience three years ago when I started to travel alone. :P

Unknown said...

Thanks boon siong...my intend is what you have mention...to mix around with the Canadians and other backpackers. I am working with Singaporean everyday so this is a good break away from the routine and norms.