Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Emergency recall!

Just when I was about to enjoy my evening after a hard day of work, a shagging evening run and meal preparation for Tuesday lunch, I recieve an urgent call from Dave. Our section was suddenly recalled back to base for some urgent matters that Dave don't even have the time to explain to me over the phone. My first instinct was "SHIT! What happen?" It must be something big have happen to warrent a total disruption of our guys precious resting time (its tough work right here in Peace Praire). I was having the worst case scenario in my mind and was observing if Kok Meng and Ricky handphone rings. Kok Meng is an Engine man and Ricky is an Electrical Instrument man, if both their phone ring for a recall, some really BIG and BAD and BURING must have happen. Relieve to hear non of their phone ringing... A quick change into my coverall and of we go! RTB! Return to base.

Ricky and KokMeng enjoying their video games

We (Me, Gary, Leng Chuan and Dave) reached base in within 30min together with our EO Captain Bertrand. Already, I could feel the hectic pace the base have suddenly become. David was already sweating it out disconnecting some of the hydraulic actuators, Mr Clive and Serene, our tech store guys, came back in this late hours to prepare component that was suddenly requested by our counterpart involving in a International Military exercise call RED FLAG at Neveda. The next job will be up to us to take out the that component from an existing aircraft, a process call "Cannibalizing" which is nothing as gruesome as it sound, just a maintainence practice of swapping internal component coupled with tons of paper work. We guys pretty much goes into autopilot mode to get the job done.

Just when the activity start to heat up on our side, with the forklift and container ready for the aircraft component, we got a call from our guys that there is no need for the component they requested earlier. Suddenly it felt like an Anti-Climax. All the heat of the action just goes into sub-zero. However I look at it in anothe perspective, although it was somehow a wasted trip late at night, this situation tested our pace when there was a sudden recall. I felt that our guys have responded really fast, just 30 mins to get changed and head 19 miles back to base. Not much physical contribution from us to our guys at Nevada but at less it was real assuring to have our presense in the base at such short notice.

It was already 12.30am when we left the base. Bertrand suggested for an early breakfast before heading home. Off we went to Waffle House to get some Caborhydrates and Fats that was burn off earlier on, plus a few cups of decaffinated coffee to call it a day. Learn my lesson not to drink coffee unless I want to toss and turn in bed...

Reached home at around 1.30am. I only need to get back to work at 1pm later on thus have sometime before bedtime to spend with my 2 Sugar Gliders pet. Need to built those bonding with them as they are still quite afraid of me...


2 comments:

Wu ZongTang, Justin said...

I didn't know u read jap ... i wonder if u notice that magazine that is in ur photograph... must see all the detail

Unknown said...

To view the magazine, we need to verify that you are above 18 years old. Haha