Thursday, July 17, 2008

Went to CAAS to apply for exam...

Today, I took advantage of the spare time I had on MC and head down to Changi Airport Terminal 2 where CAAS Office is located. I am looking for the Airworthiness/ Flight Operation Division (A/FO Division) to submit my SAR66 examination application form. After walking from one end of Terminal 2 to the other end, taking an incorrect lift and visiting the old CAAS reception desk which was close, I was finally directed to the reception located right in front of Coffee Bean. I have always assume that the entrance to the Airworthiness/Flight Operation Division should be through a corporate style glass door like this...

Alas when I step out of the lift on the 4th floor the lady at the reception told me I should head back to the 2nd floor, out of the glass door and turn right for LIFT No.20 again located in front of Coffee Bean, a Lift located in an unassuming spot in terminal 2 right beside this CAAS glass enclosed corridor.

An empty lobby with just walls and 1 signboard. If not one tell me this lift leads to A/FO Divison, I would never expect it to bring me any place useful. Took the lift to 4th floor and greeted by this signboard telling me I am at the right place, finally.


"Multi-Storey Carpark 2B". I had parked my vehicle at Carpark 2A, walked for almost 10 minutes and only to learn that the closes carpark is 2B. What a good way to exercise. Spend another few minutes walking through the snaky path and found A/FO Divison.


Walked in the office and submitted my exam application form. The receptionist, a Malay lady look through my application form and ask me if I should actually be applying for B1.3 exam instead of A3 since I am qualified thanks to RSAF for B1.3 (Engineer Paper) and taking the A3 (Technician paper) will be an underestimation. She even mention that it will be so "malu" to fail the A3 paper while failing the B1.3 (Engineer Paper) is pretty ok. I guess the rationale here is failing a technician paper means you are qualified to be technician and thats pretty sad since I am an Air Force senior tech for 5 years. On the other hand, failing the Engineer Paper only imply that you have not met the requirement as an Engineer but is still assume to be a competent technician and thats pretty ok since I am not an Engineering Officer in Air force.

Nice receptionist she is, although she was pretty stern in the beginning when I interrupted the paperwork process by asking her question which she coldly rejected saying she got all the time in the world for me after she finish the paperwork. Later she explain that she have to handle money and paperwork related to my application and gladly answered all my query when she could take the focus off the money matter.

So I switched and decided to tackle B1.3 paper instead. Paid S$153 for 9 exam papers set for first 3 weeks of October with the entitlement to defer any of the exam papers if I am not ready for it or I am not able to take leave from my work. 9 paper sound very ambitious in my opinion but its a good pressure to make me spend the free time off work to study for the different modules. Since I can defer when I am not ready, there is nothing to be worried about.

Just a quick summary of how to get to A/FO Divison at CAAS.

1) Drive and park at Carpark 2B.
2) If you park at 4th floor, just walk across the short covered bridge to A/FO Division.
3) If you park at 1st floor, take Lift 20 to the 4th floor.

If I have knew the direction before hand, my terminal 2 parking fee would have been 80 cents instead of $1.90. Parking rates at Terminal 2 is 3.57 cents per minute.

No comments: