Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Ellsworth Air Force Base Museum

Welcome! Admission is free!


Yesterday a day of poor weather and no flying, Encik Ho organized a group outing to Ellsworth Air Force and Space Museum. Below is a short description of Ellsworth Air Force Base extracted from their website

Located in South Dakota, Ellsworth is home to the 28th Bomb Wing and the B-1B Lancer aircraft. Ellsworth has a long, proud history of excellence and innovation. Our mission is to provide rapid, decisive and sustainable combat airpower and expeditionary combat support -- anytime, anywhere.

and a reach history it got as one of United States Air Force bomber/ ground attack Air Force base. Not to mention this Air Force Base is also home to US ICBM missile command during the cold war era. Other than that this base is home to many well known bombers and ground attack aircraft from the B-29 Super Fortress during WWII to the F-105 Thunderchief of Vietnam war, the B-52 Strato Fortress of the cold war and now the B1 Lancer bomber.

The museum is a must go for military aviation enthusiast like me so you can imagine the tons of picture I took while touring around "Ellsworth Air Force and Space Museum"...

The B1B Lancer bomber, the welcoming icon of the Museum


F-105 Thunderchief. Ground attack jet seen in action during the Vietnam war. It got the most unique engine air intake maybe to scoop more air?



Someday, I'll get our name on this aircraft....using Photoshop.

Munkit and the old UH-1 "Huey" Helicopter that he use to fix. The RSAF UH-1H had retired from servicing to make way for better helicopters to meet operational requirement.

B-52 Strato Fortress! Its huge and 1 of this aircraft could easily flatten my neighbourhood with dozens of bombs hanging from its wing and stored in its belly.

The Vought A-7 Corsair treaten to swallow our Singapore visitors with its awkward air intake. I joke with the guys that its actually a big cannon hanging below the cockpit.

A de-armed ICBM missile on display and a sentry in black t-shirt foolishly guarding it.

The museum is divided into 2 areas, the out door exhibit of all the military aircraft past and present flown by Ellsworth AFB and also the indoor exhibit showcasing the History of the air base. I took too much picture that if I put all in this blog, it gonna take forever to load. My favorite one got to be this one, a technician holding a spanner. I think its a very good idea of honoring the doc and nurse of the aircraft/helicopter. Somehow, this is the exhibit I can relate to alot.


Technician holding a "SNAP-ON" Spanner instead of a rifle.

I will upload all the pictures I took to my online photo album when I head back to Dallas. Will post a link here when its done. One last picture to show you guys which I hope the museum could do something to it...

Is that white paint or...

No comments: