Thursday, April 05, 2007

Empire's new software system and my neighbours network problem

Came home today with a CD loaded with our latest Empire management software user manual. Have been reading it for the pass 2 hours and I only got one thing to say, either I bite the bullet and learn how to use the software (SAP software actually) before it become a dependency for us to use it all the time thanks to HQ requirement or I can just do nothing at all, hopping that any where I go or any task I encounter someone in my section will be really gel with the software to do all the data processing and updating for us. Alas, I look around me... other than 1 or 2 guys I know (1 very enthusiastic and 1 basically being push down the Volcano Crater), there is no one else to turn to if both of them are not around.

Funny thing happen in life, the more you avoid, the more it come to you. I was called in by my dear Encik today to accompany him for this software meeting. All of a sudden Boss started pushing couple of guys to the front line to face the relentless charges of technology changes of our Empire. I am part of this so called 2nd wave attack against a seems to be complicated and headache new software in our Empire. The 1st wave of hard core digital soldiers are still hard at work and the 2nd wave (me and couple of others) will be their supporting role.

My Encik seems to feel guilty when I kanna this arrow but I assured him that sooner or later, I got to learn how to use this new software so why don't I learn it now? Right? In fact I already have intention to face the facts and study the software manual so I will be a viable resource to this Empire. And since my good Encik have been arrowed by Boss to lead the Software team, and my Encik have been charging forward even with those iron balls and shackles tied to his legs, I couldn't just "siam" and pretend I don't know how to study the software user manual.

Oh boy...here I go, 120megabytes, 1000 pages, 1,000,000,000 of words in 1 TDK CD-ROM. For my own future good, for my section, for my Encik and maybe a little for my boss, I have read 6 chapters today. All theory and no practical experience yet...so now the question is, do I pop by during this saturday to see how things are done by the 1st wave hardcore digital soldiers (a.k.a my colleagues who are expert with the software) or should I go shop for my Nintendo DS Lite???? Hmmm....

Today I learned how to assign fix IP address to computer connected in a wireless network. All thanks to my good neighbor (who is sharing our wireless internet connection) who have trouble connecting to the network due to the stupid router tendancy to assign IP address that was already assign to the other computers that were already connected to the router earlier. Learn something new again about Networking...

No comments: