Thursday, April 26, 2007

1SG Riccardo Tan


This is my rank, there are many like it but this one is mine.
I don't know to rejoice and celebrate or to be reserve and reflect on my achievement in RSAF. Just got a handshake from my CWO Encik Ong today congratulating that I will be promoting to 1SG (1st Sergent). Well, I am recommended to be promoted and not really promoted yet. Got to go with my Boss to the BIG Boss office to recieve another handshake from him. You see, before any promotion in rank, I got to sign on this form telling me I am recommended for promotion and I have to choose if I want it or not. By accepting the promotion and signing on the line, I will be oblige to stay in RSAF for at less another year from date of promotion. The other option is to turn down the offer for promotion which is equivalent to kicking my Boss below the belt, not a very smart move. Anyway, whats the issue with that? I can only ORD in 2013, so the 1 year make not difference whatsoever.





Now what do I think of the promotion? First, it came on time, on schedule. Going to be promoted on 1st of May, exactly 2 years after I got my 2nd Sergent and its normal to be promoted to 1SG after 2 year. Second, I kinda reflect on my own performance from my 3SG time to the ending period of my 2SG, all the screw-ups and cock up I made, all the regretable extra job I created for my fellow structural flight guys...the dent on the rotorblades when I was OJT, the crack inlet screen , the torque wrench that got stuck in my ingeniously fabricated tank removal tool, the dented aft pylon crown fairing, the cracked access cover. Thinking back I can't imagine how I actually survive through all this episode. If not for the understanding and support of my fellow colleague and of course the forgiveness given for my folly, I wonder how the hell I will be right now.



Sometime I thought to myself, do I really deserve this promotion or to be even recommended at all for I don't think I am really "there" yet to warrent a 1SG promotion. I humbly say there is still much more stuff I don't really know about my work, my dedication and commitment is 60% currently, my Situation Awareness need more honing, my technical knowledge is still grade C and I don't see myself sacrificing extra hours at work. The only saving grace is I love what I'm doing thats all. Compare to my current senior, I think I am still so much far away from their capability. Come to think of it, maybe a promotion in SAF sometime got nothing to do with performance, its a sign to telling you "Hey its time to move out of that comfort zone, move up and take up more responsibilty, roles and work" or " Wake up you idea soldier! You are no longer the Junior guy" or "Time to take more arrows" or " I don't care if you can or cannot but you better perform".

Well, nothing too fanciful about promoting to first sergent anyway other than a salary raise and paying extra tax the coming year. The additional "roof top" on my new rank just means that additional responsibilty to carry and a sign that I should be independent at work with my own shelther. I sure hope the two extra roof could hold additional weights... or maybe the roof might be too heavy for me to handle?








This is my rank, there are many like it but this will be mine.
My rank is my best friend. It is my life.
I must protect it as I must protect my iron rice bowl.
My rank without me is unusual, without my rank my salary is rock bottom.
I must sew my rank properly
or RSM will catch me.




No comments: