Friday, January 09, 2009

Hobby and Past time - Modeling.

Not exactly the cat walk in the spot light kinda modeling. Its the art and craft kind involving cutting, sanding, cleaning, priming, spray painting and visual checking of plastic model kit. From the popular Japanese robot Gundam to racing bikes and sports car and finally military vehicles and helicopters, the theme to choose from for any one embarking modeling is numerous and within each categories are tons of makes and model to choose from.

I prefer working on robots not because I am all crazy over Japanes Anime robots but they require the most attention and effort due to the sheer number of parts involved. Secondly, I am an man full of fantasy and imagination, I like to hands on and work on that does not exist in our world (at the moment I guess). To make something that does not exist and to make it appear as though it does is called realism.

I like to thanks my close Empire Colleague and great travel partner Ah Chiang for giving me his modeling supplies that could easily cost me 100++ dollars if I had brought it from the store. At less 10 can of Tamiya spray paints, tweezers, primer, gloss coat, Tamiya bottled paint, high quality paint brush ... etc etc. Those spray paint cost 8 bucks and I recently run dry of white paint after just one model kit. Good think the gift of good will contain a can of Racing White and the results are way way better than using Matt White.


My current project is the refurbishment of a Gundam RX-78 model I crappily built years ago. Right now I am dismantling it, sanding off the unsightly plastic riser, getting rid of seam lines using plastic putty and changing the silvery coat of colors into white, the orginal color. Gonna be using lots of white paint and primer in this case. Currently I had only complete the head and I know the quality could be better. Forgive me for I am still an apprentice in modeling and especially spray painting. After this Gundam refurbishment project, I gonna work on a Honda Repsol themed Racing Motorbike and give the finish product to my generous friend as promised. Hopefully the my skill and finishing quality would be much much better by than.

Hobby is something to keep a person positively occupied during the free time. Rather than staring into thin air or blank space, using the hands and minds keep one active and slow down the death of brain cells that make adult much more stupid than 8th graders. After 19th Jan, I guess I will have less time for the Hobby I just pick up recently for school had started and the books are mighty thick and many many!


Frankly, I am a bit worried... this journey will be enriching, challenging but painful.

No comments: