Saturday, October 13, 2007

Powerline Ethernet Networking

So I blog about Cable vs Wireless networking a few days ago and gave a glimpse of a new networking technology call Powerline Networking. Today, I gonna show you something cool I got from Fry's Electronic just to try it out. Well, 15 days return policy so I pay for nothing to play around with some cool technology gizmos.

This is the Power Ethernet Network Adapter. You need a pair of it to establish a connection between Router/Modem to a remote PC else where in the room. Cost US$140 for a pair.

Plug one of it to the power outlet closes to the Router/Modem, plug in a normal LAN Cable into it.

I plug the other Adapter into the Power outlet just behind my bedroom's PC and run a short LAN cable from it to my PC LAN port. Boot into Windows XP and without any software or hardware configuration, basically just plug and play, I can instantly surf the net and played online games.

It actually make use of the existing electric power line routed behind the walls to send/receive signal between the pair of Power line Networking Adapter.

No comments: