Saturday, May 16, 2009

A visit to the hospital...

Someone close to me was admitted to the hospital on his birthday, 15th of May. Good thing he is in stable condition but the years of smoking is starting to show sign of early damage. I hope he quit this old habit but I knew its hard for him especially when he have been smoking for 30 years. My close friend who smoked for less than a decade already faces challenges trying to quit the habit, let alone someone who smoked for 30 years. I'm afraid if he don't stop, his health will continue to slide down hill and I can only brace for the worst. Heart attack? Stroke? Its either one of this reapers that gonna take his life away. I pray that he stop for his own good and for the good of the people around him.

Personally, I smoke too but on a rare basis. I never brought a pack a cigarette for myself for I know the undesirable attraction is too great. I can only describe my first puff back in training school as an interesting experience...like baby learning how to walk. Oh yes, there is a technique to smoke and after a few practice, it become a "shiok" habit to inhale the nicotine and exhale the second hand smoke. For the beginner, I have to make a conscience effort to mix the smoke with air to lower the concentration else it will make a newbie cough on the first puff. I thank Patrick for teaching me how to smoke. Nothing against him, he just a great smoking teacher :). I had the habit of taking 2 sticks a month just for the kick.... for an irregular smoker, a single stick had a very light headed effect. My favorite-- Malboro Menthol light.

I love the hospital visit this two days. Get to look at some really interesting people walking around the ward. One girl stayed in Yishun and she is the duty nurse for past 2 days to the ward I visit. I am trying to get a hitch from her. Maybe I should ask her number over the next few days. Ahh..... the nurse are gentle and caring women in their profession but one have observe their true character outside work. Most people live a double life between work and social life, I am no exception. Sometime in life, we got to live the double life to practice our profession. No choice one...

2 comments:

Elvin said...

Can hire a PI to find out about her. Worse come to worse and more economical, can bring her to me for interview.

Better be safe than sorry. Just joking!

Unknown said...

We met already!