Monday, May 25, 2009

Dive Junkie

Next week will be a week packed with scuba dive training on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. From Friday to Sunday, I will be making my way to Tioman island for my open water dive certification. I am very excited and really looking forward to the whole of next week. Lets keep the finger cross and hope I don't have to work OT. Two more chapters still got to be covered before Mondays theory lesson held at Waikiki Dive Center and so far, it had been an interesting study experience. The PADI Open Water Diver Manual is an excellent text book that I felt academic text book should borrow some ideas and structure from.

Talking about diving, even though sound travel faster in water than in air there is no way a person is going to talk to another underwater. All you hear is bubbles and bubbles. Part of the learning experience is remembering some of th common diver sign language. While window shopping at Takashimaya on a Sunday noon, I happen to saw the diver sign language of "Buddy Me" on a T-shirt. Turn out to be "DiveJunkie" lastest outlet at level 4 Takashimaya Department Store. Real interesting...

Than they got some kinda clearance sales going on for ladies Tanktop that make my sis go ga ga over it. 3 for 20 bucks, thats a steal for something that sell for 15 a piece originally. Next thing I knew, the sales girl on the spot inform me that if I brought 2 man tees, my sis will get another ladies Tanktop for free!!! Now I going ga ga. The T-shirt are bright, vibrant and got really interesting diving designs on it. Almost all T-shirt design had this interesting collectible cards on it that tell the stories behind each design....

This remind me of the "Keluar" exit signs found in Malaysia.


Dive! Dive! Dive!


Every tees deserve a story. I use this as really cool bookmarks.


From the sales girl, I learnt that the material that goes into the tees making are not just any pasar malam material. Its combed cotton. She just said that the cotton is soften and silkier than normal cotton because the fibers are "combed" before making into yarn. Well, I found a more technical defination online...

"Combed cotton is an extremely soft version of cotton made by specially treating the cotton fibers before they are spun into yarn. As a general rule, combed cotton is slightly more expensive than conventional cotton. The extremely soft, strong material is ideal for making bed linens and clothing which will be worn against the skin. If the textile used in a cotton product is combed cotton, it will usually be clearly identified."

Judging from the feel of the material, I got no doubt its quality material that goes into the making. So you got great design on one hand and great quality on another. And did I mention that DiveJunkie is a home grown true blue singaporean company? In support of DiveJunkie and also solving the issue of dress code for Tioman trip, me and sis brought some stuff from them. The sales girl thanks us sincerely for supporting local companies and she gave us a business card. I read it....



Jasmine Yeo,
Executive Director
- DiveJunkie -
Scuba +Clothing.

I am surprised. The executive director at the frontline!!! Thats what I call running your own business... its no ordinary sales girl, turn out to be. I suggest they design some T-shirt base on all the standard diving sign language.

No comments: