Sunday, February 04, 2007

A Dinner of appreciation and reflection

Welcome to HOOTERS...RT man favorite chill outs...

It was suppose to be our RT section regular HOOTERS dinner outing today initiated by our dear supervisor Encik Ravi. Since his arrival, we have been bombarded by lots of work and rectification thus our Encik organized a dinner outing today to reward ourselves for a job well done and mission accomplishment.

We have a couple of beers and soon Encik Ravi got a bit high and you know when a man get high on beer he started to pour out his heart and emotion. Thats when all of us learn a lesson about giving credit and appreciating your man or subordinates. When a man is high, his words and emotion cannot be masked, scripted....it will be dead honest and out from the heart.... no filtering.

Encik Ravi, right in front of our Dear Boss Maj Wong gave credit to each and everyone of us. Each and everyone of our role and contribution was entirely pour out of his heart in very sincere appreciation. And he kept on repeating it again and again, making sure that we heard and receive his words. This is not pretentious for you can see it in his eyes, a nearly 20 years Air Force experience guys, the gratefulness and sincere appreciation for our contribution. I think I saw him rubbing away his tears in the middle of a speech. My god.... he is so emotional that he actually cried?

Somehow he boosted my morale and motivated me to contribute more at work when he credited me for always been the only one running to and fro aircraft, getting the tools, the spares and stuff. What even touches me more was when he mention that he was worried that I will slip on the oil stains on the floor accidentally and thus every morning, he clean up the stains he found. To be honest, I have actually tone down my pace a bit but his words today is like N.O.S in an engine....my RPM goes up already. Damn...where to find this kind of "FOR THE MAN" Supervisor? Somehow or rather he remember me telling him I got BIG LUNGS thats why I always run to and fro from point to point and brought that up today. Ha ha...now everyone will nickname me BIG LUNGS and I better live up to that name with proper running training.

Of course its not only me....he pick on every one of his man and gave credit right in front of boss. I have all along knew that RT section was the most well knit section in PP Det , our guys have a long tradition of good team work and going through thick and thin. When other section have less than desirable working partners, the unprofessional and worthless, our section have little to none of those trouble. It was not until today that I realise how thankful Encik Ravi was for our guys. He mention we are not the bottle neck, we always achieve our mission for the organization, sometime our guys have to take the shit of others secondary appointment (obviously not our section) and make it right, we take the pain all the time for others mistake....

We could have just drink today, talk cock, go Baby Doll see the strippers and learn nothing. But here it is a passionate RSAF Encik, very Care for soldier and professional telling us all the good things about us when we are actually not really up there yet. It some how make me reflect on myself and my own performance so far...do I deserve such praises? I think somehow its kind of a motivation to praise than perform later in my case. Somehow when the appreciation and credit comes it, it nudges me forward to put in more effort.

I think I see the meaning of leadership today, its not only leading in work...the planning and the delegation. Its also about thanking you guys for their work and crediting them, in details of their contribution. Take two hands to clap... the man doing the hard work, the boss showing gratitude and appreciation...the man work even harder....I never forget todays speech.


No comments: