Thursday, June 15, 2006

Super screw-up day but thank god for the help

Screw-up Netgear router

I woke up early in the morning, have my breakfast and realise my wireless internet router got disconnected yet again. So I went to NETGEAR website, figuring out that a new firmware upgrade might help prevent further disconnection in the future. To my utter shock, the network router stop responding after the upgrade, going into COMA.... I spend the next 1 hour of the morning, attempting to recover it. Thank god.... by turning off the modem and than configuring the software in the hardware directly with ethernet cables connected to my laptop, I manage to get back the wireless connection signal. THANK GOD! Its still do disconnect unintentionally sometimes but its better than a dead router.

Screw-up Car battery

Finally, I can leave my house in peace spending the off-days to post letters, do some wine shopping at JRB, Grocery shopping, driving around Dallas and apply for my Social Security card. My first stop was the UPS Store just a 10 min walk from my home to post a "$15 mail-in-rebates." I stop and turn off my car, walk to the UPS counter to send my mail, walk back the car and crank the engine. Its as dead as the network router I encounter this morning. SHIT... It was running really well this morning and suddenly this happen? Really 事事不如意 "SHIT SHIT COME TO ME"... On closer examination, I realise the battery is dead which leave the car in coma, which leave me helpless with out my car. Ok calm down Ric....theres got to be a way out of this situation. So the million dollar question was "What do you do now?"

1- Walk back home a drive my room mate vehicle out to get a new car battery?

2- Call for help from passer by to jump start the car using their car battery?

3- Call the tow truck and pay $$$$$

4- Sit down and cry.

I can neither poll the audience cause the place is pretty quiet, Dial a friend cause my phones not working. So 50/50 leave me with option 1 and 2 cause I am a mechanical man and got good social skills...

So I approach every passer-by (since everyone here drives) and ask them if they got jumper cables in their car and if they could spare me some battery juice. NONE.... no no I mean they wanna help but they got no cables. Out of desperation, I finally walk back to the UPS store and ask the manager, Suzy, if she got a jumper cable in her car. The moment I walk in, she knew I was in trouble. THANK GOD!!! Her colleague, Shikela got a pair in her Cherry red Pontiac GrandAm! Little Red riding hood electrified and revived Old grandfather car! You should look at how excited and relieved I was when the engine crank up! I was so grateful for their help that I walk over to a Chinese restauraunt and ordered some snacks and drinks to be delivered to them later on.


Nothing beats UPS customer services...

...Beyond their call of duties
- Shikela and Suzy from UPS Store, 1717 East Beltline (near Tom Thumb)



Screwed-Up Coca-cola

Ok, now the car is cranking and stuff are running smoothly. The shit is clean up and I am ready to go, sipping on a cup of Coca-cola telling myself better not to shut off the engine before I reach Wal-Mart to change the battery. So I chance upon the neighbour son, Johnson, just before I drove off and he is walking home at the moment. Feeling real good from the help others rendered me, I decided to pass on this goodness to Johnson and offered him a lift home. Drop him off at the gate, and my Coke is finish... thought of just leaving it under the car and drive away but the apartment leasing office guys are right beside my car chatting. So I left the car for the dust-bin and make the grave mistake of switching of the engine.....My natural cycle of always locking up the car whenever I am away from it screwed me up this time....thanks to Coca-Cola. THANK GOD those Apartment office guys got a jumper cable and yet another time, Old Grandfather car is shock out of coma again.

End up spending the afternoon in Walmart (yes, they fix car too....jack of all trade) getting my car battery fix up... Cost me US$46... Due to lack of time...In the end, I have to prioritize and end up only getting my Social Security Application done... Thanks to the Grand Prairie Police, I was able to whiz through the traffic behind them driving slightly over the limits. (WHO SAY COPS DON'T SPEED?)

No comments: