Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I miss home cook food.


RICCARDO reporting "LIVE" from Lewisville (smallvilles brother).


After taking the horrible lunch I prepared, I suddenly miss my mums cooking so much that the day became pretty depressing. First it was my "Sweet and Sour" pork which was really too "Sweet and Sour", than it was watching my colleagues who brought along home made food from their wife for lunch during working period. Sigh... for the first time since I am here in states, I seriously miss my home cooking. Morale was badly hit after lunch and the only good food I have was the home made "green bean soup" a colleague of mine shared with me.

Fortunately, Edwin from AirFrame section invited me over for dinner at his home in the evening. I must say his wife was a very good cook! If not for the fact that I was a pretty modest guest, I could have devour every dish on the dinner table by myself! Wow....he is really a blessed man to have great, mouth watering home cook dinner after a hard day at work, without even having to step into the kitchen. Unlike singles man like me who came alone and have to either cook for myself or eat out. Seriously, women should master the kitchen and dishes cause good food captures man hearts. I think I better get a real nice GF when I am back in Singapore and bring her to U.S on my second tour of duty.

That does not mean I will give up on cooking now and resent my fate to canfood, instand meals, microwave meal or takeaways, I still have a genuie interest in cooking. Its one of those process that you can learn about preparation, organizing, measuring, multitasking and safety (you think cooking is safe untill you see the number of knife cuts on my fingers and burn mark on my wrist). Cooking a dish is like Chemistry and Physics in action...the chemistry of sauce and grains and physics of kinetics and heat in motion. You got all your equation on the left (Ingredients) and the resultant on the right (dish). Small changes in equation (amount of heat, salt, sugar, soy sauce, size of meat, choice of garnishing....) can have different intensity in the final result....either it taste excellent, normal, dull or like shit. Normal and dull taste is still acceptable to me cause I am concern about filling my stomach most of the time....SHIT work is totally unacceptable because it can really torture me mentally... Excellent = 色香味全。 So here are some of my rating for food I cook during the weekend.


This is what I consider SHIT in looking food but taste really good! So I consider it a good result.
Its actually suppose to be Luncheon Meat Egg Omellete but eventually turn out to become "Cai Tao Kue". Anyway, I was not the one who cook this dish, it was my room mate.

Mmmm....Pork Ham is black pepper sauce mix with Veggies with Rice. Got color, got smell and got taste. It score EXCELLENT in the score book. Now the secret of this dish is actually the black pepper sauce I brought from Singapore and the pork ham given to me by my colleague (they got a huge piece from supermarket). This is a satisfying Sunday dinner for me.

Ending my blog here with a familiar sigh I can't find right here.... everything is restaraunt style in US....


No comments: