Thursday, May 04, 2006

I'm leaving on a Jet plane

LEAVING ON A JET PLANE
John Denver -Cherry Lane Music Publishing Co., Inc. -ASCAP

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go
I'm standing here outside your door
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye
But the dawn is breakin', it's early morn
The taxi's waiting, he's blowin' his horn
Already I'm so lonesome I could cry.

Chorus:
So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go.
I'm leavin' on a jet plane
I don't know when I'll be back again
Oh, babe, I hate to go.

Nice song from John Denver and also sung by some Ang Mo female singer. It pretty sums up of my feeling right now. "All my bags are pack, I am ready to go..." in less than 9 hrs time I will be on board SIA SQ12 heading to Tokyo Narita International Airport where the plane will refill before embarking on the long haul journey to US L.A. From L.A., I will be switching to American Airline for a 3hrs domestic flight to my ultimate destination, Texas, Dallas, home to our RSAF Peace Prairie Chinook Detachment. It will probably be the longest flight of life approx 19Hrs and I am sure the two years in U.S could be my longest oversea stay. The last time was 4 months in Hong Kong. Its 0020Hrs Singapore time and I keeping myself awake, writing blog, chatting with friends online and also do some data backup to DVD-Rs. I just want to keep myself awake so I could fall asleep easily on the plane later on, else I'm sure to be jet lagged and too tired to do all the admin stuff when I reach the States. Eager to go now but sure have mix feelings especially with what I will be leaving behind for the next 2 years.

"I'm leavin' on a jet plane
I don't know when I'll be back again

Oh, babe, I hate to go."

In fact I will be back on the 4th of May 2008, 5th of May to be exact if you factor in the long flight times and the occasional glitches in our modern day passenger flights. I hate to leave Singapore for only 4 reasons,

1- Family. Been together for the last 25 years creates the kind of bonding that take a million pounding to break. Gonna miss my "Lo So" mum, my "Resourceful but Anti-PAP" dad and my "Crazy and Cute" Sis. Luckily with Modern technology, keeping in touch is no problem. Long distance call are very affortable so calling back home while I am in US will be a 3 times a week ritual if not daily.

2-Friends. Drinkings kakis, Karaoke kakis, Talk cock sing song Kakis,political kakis, my ex, my ex ex and my ex ex ex....without you all, my life will be lacking of that wonderful palettes of color and that fine touches. Yes, I will be making new friends in a new land but nothing beat the taste of age old wines, if you get what I mean.

3- Food. Probably won't survive beyond 1 month by feeding on Ang Mo food. Although there is numerous Asian restaurant and eateries in the U.S town I stayed in, it can never beat the authentic Singapore taste of Roti Prata, Minced Pork Mee, Wanton Mee. My usual weekend ritual of Roti Prata will cease to exist for the next two year and in it place, Pizza. Maybe someone could mail me those "Instant" Roti Prata sold in NTUC supermarket?

4- Election 06. Just when I thought I could vote... sian.... have to wait another 5 years. Go Sylvia Lim! Go Glenda! Go Low Thia Kiang! Go Worker's Party!

Dear friends, Riccardo off to his new adventure in USA and without fail will continue to keep this blog alive with pictures and happenings of his exploration of the New World. He can be reached by E-mail and MSN at majmoron@yahoo.com or throught Snail Mail to,


1717 East Beltline #2021
Coppell, Texas 75019 U.S.A

Riccardo hereby sincerely thanks all the wonderful friends who took the effort, sacrifice their time and gained extra pounds for the numerous farewell dinner...



No comments: