Thursday, May 18, 2006

Finally got my car and a dent

I spend almost S$2000 and close to 2 years to get my Singapore drivers License in the past. Yesterday I spend US$26 plus 3 hours to obtain my Texas drivers license by passing both the theory and practical test at one shot. What a BIG difference.

My intention is to get a Honda Accord or Civic costing US$5000 to 8000 as my mode of transport for the next 2 years but unfortunately my vitamin "M" is pretty low. Thus I decided to take over a 13 years old Ford Tarus 3.0L car from one of my colleagues here. The car only cost me US$800 plus a hefty 6 months insurance cost that set me back US$530.50. The insurance is astronomical for new US drivers. In total, I spend US$1330.50 which is only S$2088!!! What a BIG difference again! That kind of pathetic money might only give me a small cc motorbike in Singapore.



Right over here, without a car is like without a leg. Everywhere people go require some form of motorized mobility. Public transport? It virtually non-existence right here, with the occasional sight of a 30min interval buses in certain region. Even so, most bus stop looks abandon. Btw, there is no taxi here... probably have to hitchhike if one become stranded out of nowhere.

BLOODY HELL. Just the second day of driving, my precious car suffer a dent on the rear bumper, on the lower right side. Quality of the road here varies according to how poor the neighbourhood is. I was entering the 7-Eleven near my workplace to "Ta Bao" dinner, as I was leaving I did not notice a high kerb on my right side and BOOM!!!... when negotiating a right turn, I hear a cracking sound follow by snap... BLOODY STUPID F***ing kerb... painted in black color, camoflaging with the surface road. Lesson learn, the hazard on the road here is no always apparent better be careful else next time landed into a deep ditch (or shit?)

While on my way home from work at 3am this morning, I almost hit a armadillo. Cute little critter taking his own sweet time to walk across the road. Strangely I was more alert now compare to the 7 Eleven episode to spare this animal a messy death from a 70km/hr crushing death.

No comments: