Friday, September 11, 2009

Been 1st as a team and lesson learn.

What a great way to start a Friday. Join hands with couple of our base guys to participate in a water competition as part of PC Anniversary celebration. I felt we are the underdogs and will never beat those hardcore guys of air defense artillery and the Ops guys from our base. After 3 rounds of games we emerged top among teams of 4! The score margin was quite significant by the way. I am always excited been in part of the winning team ever since playing in the soccer team back in the oversea detachment days. I am surprised that the usual quiet and reserved juniors from the Chinook and Apache platform shown so much vigor, determination and fighting spirits during today game to clinch us the title. I for once was especially struck with amazement at the performance of Jun Hui from CH-CNEF. He appear to be such "background" guy every morning we met for FOD walk but turn out to be an amazing swimmer and motivator of our team. I of course was pretty noisy throughout, shouting and cheering like a coach at the side line. I realize today I have missed out so much pleasant experience engaging in team activities.

Much could had been say about the usual routine work of base. Sometime, we just can't do the Rambo and fight the battle alone. Consiously keeping my emotion and temper in check, I got a good lesson learn today with a senior counterpart from the next department. Looks like the mistake of yesterday was a bit of a hot topic in the morning while I was happily winning the game with my team. Yup...sat down and listen to what this senior got to say and got to offer to help. I learnt that no want wanna give each other a bad time at work especially when each of us are working under the same department and under the same family. I was too defensive and critical about how the "upstairs" were thinking...its inevitable though for the track record in shows that small issue could easily be blown into big ones base on assumption. Well, in times like this one got to choose to believe whether people are here to help or people are here to scrutinize and harm. I believe in my people, I believe they are all trying to help one way or another.

Weakness. Everyone got it. Its time to learn how to delegate to my right and left hand man. It appears that there is always a reluctancy in me to do so rather choosing to 包山包海 things at work. I finally agree that its getting too taxing to handle. Its time to get things done as a team rather than running my own race all the time. Its nice to work alone sometime but the world don't go round just because of a one man effort or a one man show. Leverage, thats what really matter when getting work done.

The dreaded audit coming up next week and I still got outstandings to clear. Than again there are some major operation coming up next few weeks as well. I am starting to see the challenges ahead. In the meantime, its Friday and I'm heading out for the evening, to wind down this crazy week with a light supper with Missy.

No comments: