Friday, May 04, 2007

Run as fast as I can

My favourite part of the Annual Military Physical Test was the 1.5 miles/2.4km run. Not only am I good in it but this test always send me an andrenaline rush. I hope I could have run faster today if not for the stupid protein powder drink I had for breakfast this morning which give me a quirky stomach through the run. Still came in second place today at an astonishing 8mins 13secs, losing only to Staff Sergent Beck who have a amazing breath during the last 100m stretch, zooming past me and taking the glory. hahah. I am sure there is something wrong with the stop watch cause at my prime, I was only running like 8mins 45secs. I sure sense the run today is much more slower thanks late nights and protein powders. Should have taken steroids instead. of protein powder..hahah

Nevertheless it was nice to reach the finishing line first among my RSAF colleagues. Suddenly I thought to myself, when was the last time I got this feeling than I was better than others, I am first and I am confident? Sure is a long time ago, maybe during poly time when I can feel ya ya papaya about my academic ability. Ever since after Poly times, things just went down hill for a while. Even getting a certificate of merit for my performance in Air Force School did not make a good difference to the trouble I met in the past. Oh Riccardo, let bygones be bygones.

Now I was ask if I will be interested to take part in the Dallas White Rock Marathon by the American guy. To be honest, even completing the 21km half marathon twice in the past, I am still skeptical about my ability to complete a marathon. Thinking back on my running milestones, I did a 3km cross country in Primary school, 5km cross country in secondary, a 10km run in Sentosa, 5km and 1.5kim competion in Air Force School where I got 2nd place in both of em (a pilot win) and two 21km Half Marathon. Think about it, I should be more than ready to tackle a Marathon right now with adequte training and preparation. WHATS HOLDING ME BACK?

I guess its the work commitment I have back in the Base, at the end of the day I am just too tired to really go to train let alone waking up earlier than the other guys and heading to base earlier in the morning to train with the Ang Mo. There is laundry to wash, housekeeping to do, cooking to be done, bills to be settled, TV series to be completed, books to be finish reading... Lots of those excuse to shy away from something that could actually enrich my life better. Well representing my peers in PP Det to run in the Marathon sure is a good thing and even better still, the first guy from the Logistic side to run in USA. So now I got the chance to be the first again?

Am I afraid of failure for the reason why I don't consider taking part? Maybe.... I just don't wanna commit with the pressure of expecatation from people who knew I took part. Fame and glory? No... Every run I did, I do it for myself and I don't like the feeling of not finishing a run even if I came second, third or last. I will consider the Marathon in US (how many people got the chance to run here and share the story back home) but for the mean time, I Run as fast as I can...

No comments: