Monday, January 22, 2007

How not to drive


It was a long night shift for me, from 3pm on Friday to 9am the following day. Almost 18hrs of work and I am feeling really tired. Could have got home earlier if we were not stuck with bolt that fails to install properly.

I was glad everything was over for the day and we mange to pull it off again. Feel relieved to be sitting back in my car and cranking up the engine for the 19miles journey home. I can't help dozing off momentarily while driving on the empty weekend's highway. Its not the first time I have problem keeping myself awake while driving to and fro work but it have never dawn to me as something dangerous until today.

I thought I was driving on the extreme left lane of the highway and suddenly, at a blink of an eye I ended on the extreme lane. Maybe this don't sound very much but the highway I am traveling on have 5 lanes in each direction so to change 5 lanes without me even remembering what happen was really a shock. Two thing could have happen, either I woke up unscathed or I woke up from a crash.

This is the wakeup call. I escaped from some form of disaster again. Something gotta be done about this. Of course I still gotta work and still have to drive to work, so I have did some read up on the Internet on causes of and solution to Drowsy Sleeping. Learn that working for 18hrs straight will have the same effect as drinking and driving. To combat against drowsy sleeping thus an accident, drinking coffee 30min before driving is a sure way to keep the alertness for an hour or two, more than enough time to get home safely. This technique will not work with heavy coffee drinker just like a single dose of drug won't satisfied a drug addict.

1 comment:

Elvin said...

Stop on the road shoulder and take a 10 minute nap in future. Just 10 minutes, not 1 minute more or less. You will find yourself refresh and probably last till lunch time.