Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Longest waiting time at government medical service

So when was the last time you literally have to wait for 2 long hours just to have a doctor attend to your health malfunction? I bet that was during the peak period at a government polyclinics which is noctorious for its long waiting hours and long Q. Most Singaporean just don't take care of their health very well, don't they? Prevention is better than cure don't seems to be in their mind.

So polyclinic have the longest waiting time but one day I was proven wrong and I am gonna present the a new candidate to challenge the waiting time for Polyclinic.....


THE SAF Sembawang Air Base MEDICAL CENTER!!!





One day, I went to my Air Base medical center (MC) to go through medical check-up per requirement for the U.S detachment I will be heading for in May. I reach the MC at 1.30pm sharp and was glad that other than me there was only a few sick soldier and 1 malingering chap. What false sense of security it was, I eventually have to wait for 2 long hours before I am able to meet the Medical Officer in-charge for the check up. You see, the number of patient at the MC throughout the afternoon was so little itcould seriously put any private clinic out of business.

So few patients today and it still took 2 damn long hours before my turn! I could have assume that those sick soldiers must be suffering from some kind of chronic illness that gonna kill them on that day as they have been spending 20- 30mins with the Medical Officer. I assume that the malingering chap must be honing his "Chao King" skills with the Medical Officer for 40mins. Telling me that its OK to wait for 2 long hours when I could easily count the patron on that day with 10 of my fingers is a serious joke. Even polyclinic with patient out numbering doctors 30 to 1 does not even take that long. Seriously, if it isn't chronic diseases that those guys seeing the Medical Officer have, there is a serious "Take My Own Sweet Time" attitude. Or maybe the sick soldier just ask too much question...

Sir I am giddy
Sir My backside pain
Sir my tummy bloated (beer belly)
Sir my hand cannot move
Sir, am I going to die?

Adding to the agony of this horrible afternoon was the torrential rain just when I am about to leave the Medical center. CAT1 rain from 1500HRS to 1700HRS. Sigh, bo bian lan lan have to wait for the weather to clear. Tried to entertain myself with the BroadBand internet kiosk at the MC which is a total disgrace to the term broadband, it took forever to load a page making it more like "Bo"-Band (Bo=Don't have in hokkien).

Happen to saw one of my colleague came into the medical center with laceration on his palm, he have fell down on the slippery road in base and seems to be very happy to suffer that injury. The medic on duty patch up his wound and promptly gave him one day MC... no wonder so happy. The most interesting thing I overheard during the long wait for the rain to stop was between two corporal...

Ah Kow: Eh! You reporting sick huh?
Ah Neow: Yah lor... Fever leh, 37 degree.
Ah Kow: Must get MC lor! Don't waste. Can make even hotter by eating
toothpaste! Confirm temperature shoot high high leh! Sure get 2 days one.
Ah Neow: Aiya, Why never tell me earlier? Wasted lah...

SAF encourages all soldiers to be thinking soldiers since we are all better educated now. Kudos to the corporal who suggest using toothpaste... Next one was a request made by a Private reporting sick for Fever...

Private Ryan (to medic on duty): Can I also request for the Medical Officer to check out the pimples on my face?

WTF? Got fever already still concern about the pimples on your face? You think Sembawang Air Base medical center is Marie France Bodyline or Expression Wellness is it?

Long wait at the Medical Center, Long wait for the rain to stop and all with a rumbling hungry stomach cause wait till did not take lunch. Rush home at full speed to have a warm bowl of KOKA instant noodle.


No comments: