Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Religion Hate Mail From The Unknown.

I shall not post the content of the letter on this blog to avoid indirect distribution of hate message and grave misunderstanding among my fellow Singaporean of different race and religion. It came as a surprise to me when I open this stamped enveloped bearing no sender's name and address. I'm sure whoever the sender is, he/she is operating in the dark to avoid arrest and prosecution by our country law for inciting racial and religious conflict. I'm sure my house hold is not the only one to receive this letter, many others within my block or neighborhood should have receive this letter as well except for the Christian. The content of the letter are targeted at Christians and their Church. I am really taken aback by the remarks and appeal for action made by the writer. It was a very Anti-religion letter targeted at not only the Christian of Singapore but also our political system. The content also blame the religion for numerous unfortunate happenings of the past. I can't help but find that the comment were really childish and stereotypical.

I really shall not dwell into more of the content. If we all recall not so long ago, there is this couple who went around the HDB estate to distribute letter to promote Christianity but at the same time degrade the other major religion of Singapore. The couple were eventually arrested and prosecuted by law. Despite years of education and practice of coexistence in racial and religious harmony, how can such disruptive people exist within our society?

Once upon a time, a certain religion group came to my door step to preach their cause. Unfortunately for them, they either have very poor salesmanship or are generally ignorant. They directly make degrading remarks about my parents religion been one of devil worship and there are dirty spirits in my house. I was damn furious and got a very very bad impression of their religion. See what happen? Just by making bad comment about others religion, they are making another person had bad impression of their religion. It takes two hands to clap but also take two opposing hands to create a conflict. This incident happen to several of my friends family as well. I don't think any action was taken by our government that time. I was in Secondary school.

There was another time a mother and her daughter came over to preach their religious cause. They are very nice people. For a start, seeing all the elaborate altar right outside my door step, they never made a single comment about it. Thats call tolerance and acceptance. Second, they discuss with me about their religion and the good things that will come to me and my family. Well my dad was there too and although he never liked to entertain religious folks, he stayed on to listen because of their politeness and sincerity. At the end of the day, they offered their prayers to my family and went off without even a single recruitment statements. Both of them came back a week later and than one more time 2 weeks later. Man....I was so paiseh I offered them drinks. Never see them again after the third visit but they both gave me a good impression of their religion.

Frankly. Be it Christianity, Buddhism, Taoist, Hinduism, Islam or whatever -- ism religion, there is bound to be great lesson and teaching to be learn and practice but at the same time great misinterpretation and misrepresentation made by man. As a Singaporean, I got friends, classmates and colleague from all religion and races but when we are together, I don't even see the barrier at all. The only thing I always watch out for is what we eat. I seriously urge you guys and gals to just throw away any letters of such race and religion hate instead of reading and digesting and unknowingly becoming "one of them". Their words are pretty strong and persuasive. The world is already a messy place, lets not allow 3 pages of black and white text destroy what we took decades to build up. :)

No comments: