Saturday, September 06, 2008

Saturday afternoon in East Coast Park

Woke up really late today, at 1.30pm. I guess it was all due to the late night outing with colleagues for section farewell cum promotion dinner, supper with girl friend and playing Final Fantasy Tactics on my Nintendo DS Lite till 4am. I felt a bit guilty Friday evening time was not spent on my studies and the exam is just around the corner, in October.

Yet all that late night and late wake up did not change my weekend plan of roller blading at East Coast Park. Its been ages since the last time I was there. Think it was a Chalet gathering the last time I visit East Coast Park. East Coast Park is actually an excellent place to roller blade in Singapore and the numerous rollerblader in the park is a living testimonial of its popularity. Its Saturday and this place is filled with people! From cyclist to rollerblader to big group playing team building games and finally lots of family and couples just enjoying the afternoon. Weather was excellent this afternoon even though a few dark clouds passes by overhead.

By the way, since its a park, most car park are free. So I guess that also make the place an attractive weekend rest and relax location for Singaporean. Its nice to just roller blade along the coast line or lazing around the beach observing the ship, the South China Sea and the land (i think its Indonesia) far far away. One of the most interesting attraction I discovered was the Cable Ski Park, a small lagoon where you can hold on to a circulating cables over head while ski boarding around the lagoon. Ramps and rails are located around the circuit to perform stunts. Have not found out the cost yet but it sure looks fun.

Honestly, I would have stayed at home to study and miss out today outing at East Coast Park if my former colleague did not ask me out for a chat. We arranged to meet at Big Splash Star Bucks at 4.00pm however I got so carried away with rollerblading and the deep blue sea that I venture too far from our meeting point and have to spend 30min just to get back to Big Splash. Its most unlikely that I would even initiate meeting up with people from my work place but since he had make the first move with an invitation and I have actually respect the contribution he have done for our section... it will be really inappropriate to "siam" the meeting just because I wanna stay at home to study.

Our conversation revolve around the common topics of our work since we came from a common work background in the past. We exchanged our working principles, style and experiences. Got to know his view about our working environment and how a poor leadership result in conflict and ultimately his voluntary departure from our department. Turn out that a lack of understanding and support of people around, the absence of the human touch at work will ultimately breakdown even the most determine spirit in a person.

A few thinks I realize about leadership from our conversation...its the possession of foresight to look many steps ahead of current situation so as lead the team to make preparation and build foundation instead spending too much effort at a later stage to react to situation. Next is the good observation of people around, to bring out the best of them and to cover each other weakness with strength. We had a long conversation, almost 2 hours...the longest single seated conversation I ever had with a colleague and I have to respect the time and trust he gave me today. Learned much but still much to be learn.

In the evening, I met my sis and her colleagues. They just happen to be there for a impromptu BBQ session. So I dropped by to join them. I knew all her colleagues since we all were in the same tour group in Japan. Unfortunately the BBQ was cut short due to strong wind that threaten to blow all the food away. Its great to meet up with my sis and her colleagues, hearing them talk about people with poor work ethics and office politics while enjoying the free food! hahaha...very cheapo of me to say that.

While driving home....it rain...super heavy rain. It seems like this Saturday was specially made for me. Great weather, good conversation, roller blading, BBQ with friends and only poor weather when I'm heading home.

No comments: