Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The cure for restless night and insomia


Introducing the Dakimakura 抱き枕! It means "hugging pillow". This pillow are 60inch long, similar in shape with the Body Pillow of the west and larger than a standard bolster we usually use in Singapore. They come in two part...the 60inch pillow called "Dakimakura" which cost 5000 yen and the intriguing pillow case that cost 9400Yen (100 USD)!!! Made in Japan and available in most toy shop and Cosplay store located in Akihabara, Tokyo.

Kudos to the Japanese for reinventing the Body Pillow of the West just by changing the pillow case. Sometimes I think the Japan culture are intriguing, weird but unique. The Dakimakura pillow is almost full adult size in length and the pillow case always feature Anime female character in sexy poses. It felt almost like hugging a full size human except of cause there are not limbs at all. On his recent trip to Japan, a colleague of mine got one Dakimakura pillow case back to United States understanding my taste for out of the ordinary things like the Gothic "Nightmare Before The Christmas" bed sheet I got.

A Dakimakura pillow case package. That expression literally mean "Open Me Up".


I was expecting two standard King size pillow case, instead I got a full size "flat" girl on my bed.


On the flip side of it....

The quality of the material is really good, felt like silk and the colors are seamless from front to back. I am very confident from the quality of the prints on it, its not gonna be easy to wipe those colors out the the material. I mention earlier about having two parts to make up a Dakimakura. I am missing the official hugging pillow which measures 150cm x 52cm. Instead I have to stuff the pillow case with 1 king size pillow and 1 queen size pillow. It starts to take shape...

The two bed time model puts the bolster to shame in size and hug-ability.

This obviously is not something to be use back home in Singapore when staying with your family, will be an invitation for too much question. I wonder whats the neighborhood reaction going to be like when I hang this out at my 11th floor apartment to dry after washing. I probably hang it up on the wall as a Japanese art piece. Nothing beats the feeling of a real women...

Its a pretty interesting and mild-mannered piece of bed accessories. Other similar bedsheet features extreme scantly clad character in more imposing poses (simply said, nudity). Below right here is a website, in Japanese featuring the different Dakimakura pillow case made by Cospa. http://nijigencospa.com/event/id/106

In the meantime, this made a nice pillow for a restless night....


No comments: