Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Wedding Singer

Today is the day my 4th Brother, Randall, married his wife Angela. Well actually they become officially husband and wife two days ago at ROM but according to Chinese culture, the marriage can never be complete without an asumptous wedding dinner. For that I was invited, together with all the 9 Dragons Clan brothers and sisters to "Qian Xi Lou" at Tanjong Katong Complex for an 8 course wedding dinner.

Was really really really really honoured to be given a sit so close to the stage and his parents and in-laws. Its probably the first time I got to sit so close to the VIPs at a wedding dinner. The wedding dinner proceeded first with the arrival of the newly weds, Randall & Angela and next proceed with a a ceremony call "Opening Dish Fashion Show" by the restraunt waiters and waitresses. Of course we can never miss the "POP THE CHAMPAGNE" session where Randall seems to have initial trouble Poping the Cork out of the Bottle. Finally the Standard "YAM SE" which challenge to break the voice box of all the capable young man toasting on the stage.

After all this fanfares, the guest were encourage to make use of the onstage Karaoke system. I decided that its such a special day today for Randall and for me (since this is the first wedding of a very close friend), thus I choose to sing two song dedicated to the newly weds. Was a bit eager to be the first one on the stage just to give that surprise and impact but an Uncle was pretty fast to got on stage first and rendered a Hokkien song for the guests. Two hokkien songs later, probably the guest will find the food turning tasteless. IT WAS A HORRIBLE SONG, AND REALLY REALLY OUT OF CONTEXT for this wedding and also very disturbing man!! It turn out that the Uncle sang the song for his own entertainment and joy, almost forgetting that THIS IS A WEDDING dinner and the songs selected should have taken Randall and Angelas into consideration. The song are either about love lost or some kind of "Long tree beside the road". What the f***.

Its my turn to be on stage. Its a night not to be forgotten by our newly weds so I dedicated and sang "How Deep Is Your Love" and "Oh Carol" to this wonderful couples and the guests. Although not sung by the best voice of "Singapore Idol" and I seems to be rooted stiff to the ground, I truely enjoy this experience of a Wedding Singer and I am sure Randall and the guest either have enjoyed my singing or thought I was another William Hung making a fool of myself on stage. Ha ha.

Sadly, I could only sing that two song to help inject some good spirits into the dining experiences. The rest of the night was either Hokkien song sang by those who could be really "Famous" in American Idol or very Obiang Chinese song from god knows how many ages ago. Exception of an Aunty who sing Hokkien song pretty well...





1 comment:

Unknown said...

hehe... my brother's wedding dinner also at "Qian Xi Lou.