Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Sleeping on the job

Its ridiculously true, while sitting and cleaning some Aircraft parts today, I actually doze off!!! Well, doze of momentarily. I guess I went into Micro Sleep- Suddenly falling into total sleep for a few seconds without realising it. I excused myself from work, telling my superior that I have an upset stomach and need to visit the washroom. Behind the closed doors of the cubicle, I position myself comfortably and took a short nap without a sense of guilt.

This isn't the first time but the second time I commit such unprofessional action behind closed doors. However, I must defend myself here, without that short 15 min power-sleep...my working efficiency was literally below 50%. I am just wondering why I always felt sleepy in the morning and only reach peak working performance only 1-2 hrs after lunch time? I have at less 6hrs of sleep everyday and excercise regularly and does look healthy in front of the mirror so whats wrong?

Just like to relate a very interesting incident happening yesterday. I was sitting in for the morning brief by a Warrent Officer, the biggest shot in our Flight, I was trying very hard to keep myself awake else I get a stern barking from him. He was sharing an Aircraft accident case study with the flight. Unfortuantely my power switch turn on and off every now and than, before I realise it I was in Hibernation mode. I heard some one barked "Sergent Tan, can you summarize what I have talk about in the past 5 mins?" Woah...that was some kind of wake up call for me. Using whatever I have heard when my power switch was on momentarily together with my primary school skill of "FILL IN THE BLANKS" I was able to piece together a partial summary of the Warrent Officer speech. Probably that have saved my ass from some hard kicking since he seems a bit reserved to telling me off for dozing off.

There you go, 2 very unprofessional act from a Air Force Regular who was never ashame to admit his misadventure.

No comments: